Search This Blog

Friday, March 21, 2014

Day Eighteen

Today's words:
Courage
Skirt
Promotion
Lighthouse
Exile
Headline

Back in the day it took courage
To put on a skirt
Every morning and go fight amongst the boys for that promotion
Always looking for the lighthouse
Of safety and avoiding the exile
That befell many of us. We wanted to headline

A team, not wind up a tabloid headline.
But who today has that courage?
Not that it's needed any more. You won't be sent to exile
For wearing a skirt
And the lighthouse
Is easy to spot; your promotion

Is assured. I remember when a promotion
Like that got you a headline:
"Female exec reaches lighthouse"
Because none of the boys had that courage.
But they didn't need it. They'd never worn a skirt
Or faced exile

For breaking with tradition. And now I'm in exile
For not going after that promotion.
I guess I didn't want it enough. Let's not skirt
The issue. I didn't seek a headline
Like that. Maybe I lacked courage
But I prefer to believe my lighthouse

Was on another shore. That lighthouse
A beacon, calling me in from that exile
Of pretend courage
And fighting with the boys over a promotion
I didn't really care about anyway. There's your headline:
"Exec in skirt

"Walks away" That's right. I gathered up my skirt
And climbed to the top of the lighthouse
Watching the headline
Of the sea, where the others, striving to return from exile,
Wrecked themselves grappling for a meaningless promotion.
I'd call mine a different type of courage.

Just as wearing a skirt can be a form of exile
So can a false lighthouse seem to lead to a promotion
That really isn't one. Leaving a one-word headline: "Courage!"


No comments:

Post a Comment