Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Day Nine

Today's words
Trophy
Butter
User Interface
Pride
Salad
Button

"This year," the girl said, "I'm getting the first place trophy
"At the county fair. No more slimy butter
"Sculptures or yet another new iPod user interface.
"I've got my pride
"And this perfection salad
"Is going to push that winning button.

"And when I've hit that button
"They'll award me the trophy.
"This isn't any ordinary salad.
"Yes, there's butter
"In the dressing, but also pride.
"It makes the user interface

"With it. Yes, an interactive user interface
"That pushes hard on that button
"Marked pride.
"That's how I know that trophy
"Is mine. All for a bit of butter
"Drizzled on a salad."

"But what else is in that salad?
"You ask. How is there a user interface?
"Surely there's a secret ingredient, beyond mere butter."
The girl was mute as a button
As she awaited her trophy
With pride.

Well pride
Didn't win out, and that salad
Took home no trophy.
Instead it went to a new user interface
For web browsers. Honorable mention went to a giant button
Sculpted of butter.

Sameness is like butter,
Lubricating pride,
And easing the slip of the button
Into the hole. Instead of a novel salad
The judges felt safer with the user interface
And awarded its creator the trophy.

But the use of butter in the dressing for the salad
Was a good idea; it was the girl's pride that blunted the user interface
And failed to push the button that would have released the trophy.

Comment: I think "user interface" is two words, and I've already had "button."  Maybe I need to find a new word generator.

No comments:

Post a Comment