Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Day Sixteen

Today's words:
Cartridge
Flywheel
Nanny
Jump
Hooligan
Lemonade

"The ink is in the cartridge
"And flows when needed, like a flywheel
"Stores energy for future use." "Very good," said Nanny,
"Now jump
"Down and let's head home. If you don't act the hooligan
"Too much we'll have a glass of lemonade

"When we get there." She made the lemonade
By putting a cartridge
Of powder in a machine. Meanwhile Jake, the hooligan
Next door, showed off, using the flywheel
On his bike to power a jump
Over the hedge while his nanny

Looked on helplessly. My own nanny
Would never allow such antics. Withholding lemonade
Was the least of her weapons. A well-placed shout could make you jump
Out of your skin, and I once saw her load a cartridge
Into a shotgun.  The next day Jake's flywheel
Was all shot up. But what do you expect to happen to a hooligan?

He's bound to have bad acquaintances. "A hooligan
Will get his just desserts," said Nanny,
And I didn't doubt it. I'd seen what became of his flywheel.
So I was good, and drank my lemonade
And put a new cartridge
In my game console. It was a game where you had to jump

Over a pit of fire. If you missed the jump
The police arrested you as a hooligan.
"Enough play," said Nanny,
"Give me the cartridge.
"And I'll make you a glass of lemonade.
"Now go have a look at that flywheel."

But the flywheel
Wasn't working, so I took a jump
Off the bike. Last summer I had a lemonade
Stand, but some hooligan
Ran off with my money. I went home to Nanny
With nothing but an empty cartridge.

If you need to use the energy stored in the flywheel, like a hooligan
Does to make the jump, then it's likely your nanny
Has something other than lemonade in that cartridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment