Search This Blog

Monday, March 10, 2014

Day Seven

Today's words:
Research
Ice
Sheet
Noun
Saucer
Address

As is shown by recent research,
The polar ice
Cap, once a sheet,
May now be called another noun.
It's now the size of a saucer,
But still at the same address.

I've changed my address
Only once in the past ten years. Research
Says that's less than average for this saucer-
Shaped area we live in. It's because of the ice;
It makes me feel like a noun,
Unmoving, like a sheet.

I pull the sheet
Up to my chin. I'm tired of this address.
That word, too, can be a noun
Or a verb. I've got to do some research
Into a new place to live, without so much ice.
But first, a saucer

Of cream, for the cat, and a saucer
Under my cup, for me, so as not to spill on the sheet.
Days like this I just want to stay in bed. There's still too much ice
On the ground outside. My mail's been going to the wrong address.
Why can't they do some research
Into that, and at least get the noun

Right? A name's a proper noun,
Beginning with a capital letter, while a saucer
Is merely an inanimate object, or so "research"
Would have us believe.  But what if, like a sheet,
We could pull back this layer and address
What's underneath? Do you think there's ice

On other planets? They say ice
Equals water, which equals life, which is a noun
And never a verb. And how should we address
The occupants of that saucer
If they ever came to visit us? Or should we just huddle under the sheet
And wait for the results of more research?

And as the ice melts in the saucer
I look for a new noun, something that will cover me like a sheet
And hide my address from those who spy in the name of research.


No comments:

Post a Comment