Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Project

I thoroughly enjoyed this exercise, regardless of the result.  So I thought to myself,
"Why not do this on a regular basis?  A sestina a day for a year?  Another way to keep from sinking into senility, and, who knows, maybe even free up some creativity."

Because it seems that most of my creativity lately has been involved in putting together co-op board packages and crafting purchase offers in order to beat out best and final bid situations.  This crazy Brooklyn real estate market is making feel like a chicken with its head cut off - just running around senselessly.

I need something that I can control, to a certain extent, but also some ground rules that will prevent procrastination (or waiting for inspiration to strike, if you prefer a kinder description).

But in order to force out the maximum amount of true creativity, I thought, the word choices have to be given to me by someone else, and so be totally neutral, and free of whatever conscious or subconscious baggage I might associate with self-generated words.

So here goes: Announcing the Sestina Project. A sestina a day for a year, starting today, March 4, 2014.

Words are generated each morning via CreativityGames.net's Random Word Generator; a useful template of their order is provided by Rena's Sestina End Word Generator.

The first entry follows in the next post.  I've disabled comments on this and earlier posts, but please feel free to comment on the following (don't bother telling me my work is crap, as I'm already aware of that, thank you, and that isn't the point of the exercise). I would especially like it if people would post their own sestinas using each day's words!

A l'attaque! 

No comments: