Search This Blog

Monday, March 31, 2014

Day Twenty-eight

Today's words:
Widow
Miser
Warship
Mutton
Fin
Parrot

"Widow,"
What an awful, hollow word. A true miser
Of sound and feeling. I told him not to get on that warship,
But that's done. And now I must subsist on mutton,
And fin
Stew and other such offal, while people parrot

Their sympathies at me. Well I'll not parrot
My thanks back at them. If widow
I am, so be it. But I've still got a fin
Or two. No need to live like a miser
Yet. Let the sailors eat their mutton
Stew as they wait on their warship

To join him. He was so proud of that warship.
When he'd say that word I'd change it to "worship," like a parrot
Who wasn't quite right. Well now I'll put on my leg o'mutton
Sleeves and dress like a proper widow
While smiling at the miser
Next door, who hasn't parted with a fin

In ages. He knew how to spend a fin,
My husband did, before that warship
Took him from me. No miser
Was he, nor senseless parrot.
I so miss our conversations! As a widow
I talk only to myself, but it's like talking to mutton,

Except that you can at least eat mutton.
I'd rather be a mermaid, with a long tail fin,
Luring a sailor, looking to create a new widow,
Calling him off that warship.
Is that what happened to mine? How I'd like to parrot
His words back to him now. I'd be no miser

With my thoughts, nor a miser
With my charms. But I fear they've grown as dull as mutton.
Maybe I'll buy a parrot
So someone will at least make a sound. But I do think it was the tail fin
That lured him from that warship
And made of me a widow.

So here we are: the miser stroking his fin,
The sailors eating mutton on the warship,
And the parrot refusing to talk for the widow.


No comments:

Post a Comment