Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Day Twenty-nine

Today's words:
Paper bag
Cereal
Noise
Plastic
Fad
Needle

I take my lunch in a brown paper bag.
Sometimes I eat cereal
For dinner. The noise
All around me hurts my head. They say plastic
Never decomposes. And global warming isn't a fad.
It's here now, and that worry pricks like a needle.

But it's like the proverbial needle
In a haystack. And getting a paper bag
At the grocery store is just a fad.
It won't change anything; soon we'll have GMOs in our cereal
As yet another landfill is loaded with plastic
That never goes away. But our efforts are all noise

As long as corporations get away with making a lot of noise
And doing nothing. Yes, I needle
My friends to try, to eschew plastic
At the grocer's and take a paper bag instead.
And buy bulk cereal
To save on packaging. Now there's a new fad.

But to really effect change, these can't be just a fad.
You've got to live them and tune out the noise
Of the naysayers and our own doubts. No cow's milk on my cereal
Please, but now I hear soy is bad too. Another needle
Puncturing my resolve, and a paper bag
Is almost as bad as plastic.

Who ever thought that plastic
Could be bad? It seemed a miracle, quite the fad.
No more worries about a tearing paper bag.
And it's not just noise;
Turns out the stuff is really bad. But I doubt these issues needle
Too many people, as they chew their breakfast cereal

Like placid cows chewing their cuds. Most cereal
Has some of the same ingredients as plastic.
Changing habits is like threading a needle:
You may have to make a few attempts. This can't be a fad.
And that noise
You hear is the tearing of a paper bag.

Oops! Just as multi-grain cereal is a pointless fad,
With no more nutritional value than plastic. It's like white noise
Versus music, or a needle poking through a paper bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment