Search This Blog

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Day Thirty-one

Today's words:
Napkin
Masking tape
Zoo
Referendum
Cliff
Thunder

He spread his napkin
In his lap. "Did you remember the masking tape?"
He asked, "We'll need it to post flyers at the zoo.
"I don't want anyone to miss voting on the referendum.
"This cliff
"We're facing is real." Outside, the thunder

Boomed. "Great, thunder - 
"Rain is all we need. Let's go." He threw his napkin
On the table and got up. "I feel like I'm walking off a cliff,
"But we've got to do this. Grab the masking tape.
"The referendum
"Doesn't care about the weather, any more than the animals in the zoo

"Do." We arrived at the zoo
Just as the thunder
Broke. Our posters on the referendum
Were soaked. The napkin
I'd saved was no use, nor was the masking tape.
We might as well have thrown everything off a cliff.

Just as a cliff
Attracts lemmings, so animals at the zoo
Perform for no-one, so a painter uses masking tape
To prevent smudges. The thunder
Was farther away now, and the rain was slowing. I used the napkin
To dry my face and asked again about the referendum.

"What is this referendum
"About anyway? It's too long to read. Is there a Ciff
"Notes version? Can you just outline it on this napkin?
"I'd hate to have to talk to anyone at the zoo
"About it. I don't want to steal your thunder."
He grunted, and took the masking tape

From me. He used the masking tape
To put up a few posters about the referendum.
"Vote!" they said, "Or that thunder
"Will be the last thing you hear before falling off the cliff."
We were chased out of the zoo.
I waved my napkin

Like a white flag. No masking tape can stop the cliff
From approaching. A referendum may postpone it, but like zoo
Animals we're trapped. I hear thunder coming and hide under a napkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment