Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Day Fifty-seven

Today's words:
Duck
Mustard
Tea bag
Taxi
Plaster
Pebble

Dinner was a failure: duck
In a mustard
Sauce. Afterwards, I sat dunking my tea bag
As I contemplated taking a taxi
Home. That yummy sauce had congealed into plaster
And I felt like I had a pebble

In my throat. A pebble,
Or maybe a bone from the duck, 
Or just the plaster
Of that sauce. I'll take a mustard-
Yellow taxi
Home and break out another tea bag.

I tossed the used tea bag
In the trash and threw a pebble
At the retreating taxi.
The next time I make duck
With mustard
Sauce it won't turn to plaster.

I think it was too much flour in the sauce that turned it to plaster.
And maybe I'll soak a tea bag
With the mustard
Before whisking it all together. And only a pebble
Of flour. The duck
Itself had been fine. I stared out the taxi

Window. We arrived and I paid the taxi
Driver. As soon as I got in the house, a chunk of plaster
Fell from the ceiling. I didn't even have time to duck.
It wasn't much bigger than a tea bag
Or a large pebble
And it was the color of mustard

At the edges. Not the same mustard
As the taxi
But a brownish one. I picked up the pebble
Of plaster
And got out a tea bag
As I planned my next attempt at duck

With mustard sauce, to avoid it turning to plaster.
I'll call a taxi once I've steeped my tea bag
And put a pebble in my pocket to remind me about the duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment