Search This Blog

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Day Forty-one

Today's words:
Loft
Saxophone
Needle
Skateboard
Midwife
Ring

I once shared a SoHo loft
With a well-known saxophone
Player, who unfortunately had a fondness for the needle.
The place was so big you could skateboard
In it. I saw myself then as midwife
To his art, and expected nothing; certainly not a ring.

And when the telephone would ring
I'd run from wherever in the loft
I happened to be. Part of being a midwife
Was also being a receptionist. The saxophone
Player couldn't be disturbed, unless he was on his skateboard
Or communing with the needle.

Sometimes my friends would needle
Me about this life, but I thought their words didn't ring
True. Besides, I got to skateboard
From one end of the loft
To the other, with wonderful saxophone
Music as accompaniment. Being an artist's midwife

Was worth it, I thought. He needed a midwife
Like he needed the needle.
We both helped him use his saxophone
To express his art, as he sped in a ring
Around the loft
On his skateboard.

One day I was sick of it. I picked up my skateboard.
"I'm tired of being your midwife."
I shouted, "and of sitting around this loft
"While you make love to that needle.
"I'm not asking for a ring,
"Just some attention." He grunted, and picked up his saxophone.

One day there was silence. No saxophone
Played. The skateboard
Was abandoned. I'd had to ring
For a doctor, not a midwife,
When I found him with the needle
In his arm. That's when I left the loft.

So I was a saxophone player's midwife,
While he played with a skateboard and the needle,
And in the end I got nothing; not a ring, and certainly not the loft.

No comments:

Post a Comment