Search This Blog

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Day Forty-five

Today's words:
Comedy
Tooth
Taxi
Spaghetti
Bingo
Cellar

Is life a comedy
Or a tragedy?  That's the tooth
Of the question. Like trying to hail a taxi
In the rain. Or making spaghetti
For one. Kind of useless. Or like playing bingo
In the church cellar

With the other old ladies.  Down in another cellar
A different comedy
Is playing out. It's like a game of bingo
Or a child losing a tooth.
Start the water for the spaghetti;
The guests will be here soon - they're taking a taxi.

I get out of the taxi
And go down to the wine cellar
To look for a  bottle to go with the spaghetti,
As the comedy
That is our life goes on. Tomorrow I'll go to the dentist; I've got a tooth
That needs to be looked at. Oh, and it's also bingo

Night at the church. "Bingo?
"Now that's a new one. I didn't think you played. Can you call a taxi?
"I should head home. Good luck with that tooth."
I guess I'll head back down to the cellar
For another bottle to finish myself as I contemplate the comedy
Of my life as I wash the spaghetti

Dishes. Tomorrow's dinner will be leftover spaghetti
After bingo.
I hear there's a new comedy
At the cinema. We can take a taxi
There. They've turned the cellar
Into another screening room.  Maybe I'll go after having my tooth

Checked.  I hope there's nothing wrong with that tooth.
I finished cleaning up after the spaghetti
Dinner and brought the big pot back down to the cellar.
Maybe I'll skip bingo.
There's something ineffably sad about taking a taxi
At night. You never see that in a comedy.

In the end, my tooth was OK. I went to bingo
And then came home and ate spaghetti. I didn't take a taxi
Though, and I stayed out of the cellar. I want this to be a comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment