Search This Blog

Saturday, April 12, 2014

Day Forty

Today's words:
Cheese
Banana
Work
Parking Meter
Mess
School

"Say cheese!"
I smiled obligingly, then grabbed a banana
And went back to work.
At one I ran out to feed the parking meter,
And then cut out again, leaving my desk a mess,
To get the kids from school.

I attended the school
Of hard knocks, or as some say, hard cheese.
My life was a mess,
With maybe a banana
To eat all day. I needed to save my change for the parking meter
And everything else was work.

Well that strategy won't work
Anymore. You've got to attend the right school,
Use a credit card for the parking meter,
And make sure you know the provenance of every cheese
You serve. And that banana
Had better be organic. If not, you're just a mess.

My kids know no such mess.
They'll never have to work
Like I did. Or hope to get a banana
For lunch; the school
Provides good food, including fancy cheese,
And the parking meter

Is someone else's problem. I was waiting at the parking meter.
The inside of the car was a mess - 
Pieces of cheese
Smeared into the seat, dropped either by me on the way to work,
Or one of the kids, as an after-school
Snack. And on the floor was a banana

Peel. I took out another banana
As I waited to feed the parking meter
Again. Five more minutes before the end of school,
Then home to clean up the mess
Bound to be waiting for me there. It's no wonder my work
Suffers. I ate another piece of cheese.

I'm tired of cleaning up mashed banana mess
Everywhere, and shuttling all day between the parking meter and work,
While hoping that they'll be OK with an after-school snack of cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment