Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Day Fifty-one

Today's words:
Album
Squid
Toffee
Judge
Frame
Hour

When I was in college, I'd clean pot on the White Album.
It was the best for that. Afterwards, we'd eat squid
(Calamari) at Arturo's and maybe finish up with a toffee.
Today it comes all clean, in lucite boxes. I can't judge
Today's smokers; it's no longer my frame
Of reference. Once I spent many an hour

Getting high, but it's been decades since an hour
Of my time went to that. In the album
Of my life that song is done. It's an old picture in a frame,
One that I hardly look at. But the squid
At Arturo's is still good, and I think I'm a good judge
Of fried calamari, though I never follow it with toffee.

Not that I don't love a good sticky toffee
Pudding, but only an hour
Or so after dinner. And I'm no judge
Of music, but the White Album
Isn't too bad. Better to leave the squid
For another night however. These days the frame

Of my life is a more rigid frame,
With the occasional toffee
And squid
(Though never together). I bill by the hour
And deliver an album
Of the proposed project for you to judge.

I hope you will judge
It on its own merits, and not frame
It as a gesture for old times' sake, like an album
Of old snapshots, or a toffee
Found forgotten in a coat pocket. If you've got an hour
Or two to spare, we could get some of that squid

At Arturo's. You don't care for squid?
Well, who am I to judge?
I see the hour
Is growing late. I've got to go pick a new frame
For a painting I've had for a while. I'm looking for a toffee
Color, something to match the album

Cover. Afterwards I'll get that squid, as I head home with my frame.
Don't judge me too harshly if I don't take any toffee;
At this late hour I think I'll just look through that old album.

No comments:

Post a Comment