Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Day Fifty

Today's words:
Metal detector
Eating
Haystack
Oil
Earth
Cat

An old man scoured the beach with a metal detector
As we sat nearby, eating
A picnic lunch. The dune looked like a haystack,
And I massaged sunscreen oil
Into your back. It was a wonderful day and it was Earth
Day. You stretched like a cat

And got up. "I wonder if that old cat
"Is finding anything of value with that metal detector?"
You wondered, "Why on Earth
"Do people waste time with that?" I went back to eating
Lunch, and asked you to put more oil
On my back, but you were already beyond the next haystack-

Dune. Love is the proverbial needle in a haystack,
Isn't it? And you can be so cruel, like a cat
With a mouse. Just as you won't find oil
With a metal detector,
So eating
Ice cream won't find you love on this Earth.

I've combed the Earth
Looking for that haystack
Needle, and eating
My share of ice cream. I did find a cat,
That I loved, but never tried a metal detector
To discover oil.

I had an uncle who struck oil
And became one of the richest men on Earth,
Or so it seemed. He bought himself a metal detector
Afterwards. We'd jump into the haystack
In his field. In his barn I once saw a cat
Eating

A bird. It stopped me eating
Chicken for a while. Mother gave me cod liver oil
To make up for lost protein, while the cat
Continued to rule the Earth,
Or so it thought. To find that haystack
Needle now I'd use a metal detector.

Just as we were commemorating Earth
Day, oil erupted from the haystack,
And a cat strode by waving a metal detector.


No comments:

Post a Comment