Search This Blog

Friday, April 18, 2014

Day Forty-six

Today's words:
Fact
Resting
Button
Steering wheel
Storm
Decay

"I'm beat, and that's a fact,"
He said, resting
His head on the seat back. I pushed the button
To start the car and put my hands on the steering wheel.
"There's a storm
"Coming; we'll have to try to outrun it. Otherwise it's all decay
"Around here."

It was the kind of pervasive decay
That settles in around abandoned suburbs. It's a fact
That those who grew up here have fled, escaping the storm
Of boredom that was their childhood. I spent mine resting
In the car, my head on the steering wheel,
Too bored to even button

My blouse.  It's as if someone pressed a button
And my will to live was gone, as decay
Set in. So I grabbed the steering wheel.
We'll escape now, before the fact
Of relentless suburban boredom comes and finds us resting,
Vulnerable to the storm.

"That's right, storm
"Off as usual, like every time you come here." "Don't press that button.
"I warn you. You may think it's just resting,
"But it's not, and it will get you too. The decay
"Will eat your soul, and that's a fact."
I turned the steering wheel,

Easing us out of the cul-de-sac. I'll lash myself to the steering wheel,
Like the captain of a boat riding out a storm.
There's no fact
That can save us if we stay here, only the button
Of sure decay
Resting

On the dining-room table, resting
On the steering wheel.
Decay 
The would unleash a storm
Just by pushing a button.
It's not a fact

That resting will bring on the storm,
But why tempt fate? Hands on the steering wheel, a button
Clenched in your teeth, knowing that decay is the only fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment