Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Day Forty-nine

Today's words:
Butter
Justice
Gears
Galley
Trapeze
King

You can butter
Him up as much as you like, but justice
Isn't a guaranteed outcome. I know those gears
Are turning in your head, but in the gallery
Of portraits, yours is absent. You can swing on the trapeze,
But that doesn't make you king.

And if I were king
I'd outlaw butter
And make everyone take trapeze
Lessons. Justice?
You can talk to the peanut gallery 
About that. And the gears

Are frozen. Those gears
So beloved of the King.
He installed them in a gallery,
Lubricated them with butter,
All in hopes of finding justice
On the flying trapeze.

It's not like hanging from a trapeze,
Or the turning of gears - 
Justice
Is simpler than that. The King
Knows it too, but butter
Wouldn't melt in his mouth. Let's stroll the gallery.

I always think better walking the gallery.
I'm no dare-devil, swinging on the trapeze.
I'll put some butter
On those gears,
Hoping to move the King
To justice.

And so, chasing justice
In the gallery,
I came upon the King,
Working out on the trapeze.
The gears
Unfrozen after he'd applied butter.

Justice is like an acrobat on a trapeze,
Swinging in a gallery of gears,
While the King works at churning butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment