Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Day Twenty-three

Today's words:
Slipper
Ferry
Concert
Peanut
Fall
Bill

Like a slipper
Warming a chilled foot, the ferry
Glided into the port, accompanied by the usual concert
Of gulls, hoping someone would throw a peanut
Or hot dog end. Then, swooping, they'd try to catch it on the fall,
The morsel winding up in one lucky bill.

Once I found a ten dollar bill
Stuffed inside a slipper.
No idea why I'd hidden it there. Perhaps I was expecting to fall
From my relatively comfortable perch. No more ferry
Rides for me, and only peanut
Butter sandwiches for dinner. And I'll skip the concert.

My friend's band is giving a concert
Tonight. There's no bill
To get in, but I'm bringing a box of peanut
Butter cookies. Like Cinderella and her glass slipper
I'll squeeze myself onto the ferry
And hope I don't fall

Off the edge. I think Fall
Is the best time of year for a concert
It's still warm enough to take the ferry.
Relax, I'll take care of the bill.
You sit back in this slipper
Chair, and munch on a peanut.

Her little dog wasn't much bigger than a peanut.
And she had to be careful it didn't fall
Off the bed. Sometimes it would drag a slipper
Down the hall, or treat us to a concert
Of whining. I paid its vet bill
Once, after it got seasick on the ferry.

"Crossing Brooklyn Ferry"
Is one if my favorite poems, but you can keep the peanut
Clusters. Send the bill
To my hotel; I'll not fall
For your tricks again. You can call me after the concert.
I'll be looking for my other slipper.

I love to take the ferry in the Fall
And eat a peanut as I listen to the concert
Of the gulls, crying silliness, like, "Bill!" or, "Slipper!"

No comments:

Post a Comment