Search This Blog

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 121

Today's words:

Corn
Pants
Ants
Brakes
Quilt
China

The corn
Grew higher than my pants,
And the ants
Were long gone.  I'd put on the brakes
A while ago. And I hid under Grandma's quilt
That she'd brought here from China.

In China
They don't really grow corn.
So it was new to Grandma, who hid under her quilt
When she first arrived. She was used to wearing pants,
But the women here didn't do that. Them's the breaks.
And she ate ants.

People here didn't eat ants,
Even though they were good. In China
They were a delicacy. But now it was time to put on the brakes
Of that, and learn about corn
And not wear pants
Anymore. But the quilt

Could stay.  A quilt
Was normal. Me, I soon discovered I had ants
In my pants,
As they said. I was from China,
And therefore exotic in this corn
Belt town. But I put on the brakes

On so many boys. And after the brakes
I'd think of them, lying under Grandma's quilt
Surrounded by corn
Fields. We'd had ants
In China
Too, just not in our pants.

Now, the hot dog pants
As I apply the brakes
Softly, to avoid smashing the china
I'm delivering. It's wrapped in a quilt
To protect it. But the ants
Are still eating the corn.

In the end I made a pair of pants out of that quilt, 
Because even by applying the brakes I still ran over the ants.
Their shell fragile as china among the corn.


No comments:

Post a Comment