Search This Blog

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Day 140

Today's words:

Spotlight
Jacket
Reading
Wig
Forest
Custard

I stepped out into the spotlight
And popped the collar on my jacket.
Ready to begin the reading.
I adjusted my wig
And looked out over the forest
Of the crowd. "Custard!"

I yelled, "Custard
"Melts in the spotlight,
"So you're better off hiding in the forest
"To eat it." I was warming up and I took off my jacket
And threw down my wig
And went on with the reading.

I used to love reading
In bed, with a custard.
Now I wear a wig
In the spotlight
And a jacket
Of forest

Green.  I've been to the forest;
I loved reading
There too.  I'd take off the book jacket
So as not to smear it with custard.
I never imagined I'd wind up in the spotlight
Wearing a wig.

Why a wig?
You ask. To see the forest
From the trees, I suppose, in the glare of the spotlight.
Reading,
Eating custard,
And wiping my mouth on my jacket

Sleeve. So my jacket
Is torn and dirty and my wig
Is matted with custard.
I should just retire to the forest.
I don't need to give a reading
In the spotlight.

I found his jacket in the forest,
And, farther along, his wig. He'd been reading
Montaigne and eating custard, hiding from the spotlight.

No comments:

Post a Comment