Search This Blog

Thursday, July 3, 2014

Day 122

Today's words:

Nail
Accident
Crumbs
President
Minute
Pie

I smashed my nail
By accident
With a hammer. "Crumbs!"
I shouted, knowing the President
Was within earshot. In a minute
He'd be out, looking for pie.

It was stupid of me to bake a pie
And try to hammer a nail
At the same time. But these days every minute
Is counted, so that's how I had the accident.
But I still wouldn't curse in front of the President,
Which is why I yelled, "Crumbs!"

Instead of something stronger. Afterwards, crumbs
Were all that was left of the pie.
The President
Ate most of it. I nursed my sore nail
That I'd hit by accident
And held ice on it for a minute

Or three. I waited another minute
And then cleaned up the crumbs.
At least I'd avoided an accident
With the pie.
My nail,
After all, will heal. The President

Looked on expectantly. I call my dog the President
Because he changes his mind in a minute
And he's very hard to nail
Down on any subject. And now he's sniffing around for the crumbs
Of the pie
That fell to the floor by accident.

It's no accident
That I call him the President,
But maybe I should call him the King, yes, the Pie
King. He can devour one in a minute
And even eats the crumbs.
So my nail,

Which I smashed by accident, was better in a minute
Or two. The President had found all the crumbs
Of the pie, and I again took my hammer to that nail.

No comments:

Post a Comment