Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Day 136

Today's words:

Basin
News
Shout
Whisky
Evening
Cancer

He cleared his throat loudly and spat into the basin.
"Tell me some real news!
"Something to make me shout!
"Or else get me a whisky!
"The evening
"Is young and I could be dying of cancer

"For all I know." But he wasn't dying of cancer,
Despite the spit in the basin,
And as the evening
Wore on, he turned to the news
On TV, quietly sipping his whisky,
Pausing only occasionally to shout

At the TV.  He'd shout
At anything that annoyed him, or made him think of cancer.
That was his great fear - that and running out of whisky.
He kept the basin
Close by in case he needed to spit, and watched the news
At the end of the evening.

This evening
I'm going to be still.  I won't shout,
Whatever the news,
Even if it's about cancer,
And I'll leave the basin
Alone as I sip my whisky.

"Whisky
Can certainly help ease an evening,"
He said, and then spat again into the basin.
"And I know you'd give out a shout
"If you knew I had cancer,
"Wouldn't you? Wouldn't that be news?"

"News
"To me," I said. "Now give me some of that whisky.
"We're cancer-
"Free for the moment, so let's enjoy the evening.
"I'll give out a shout
"And you dump out the basin

"On the floor in front of the news on the TV. This evening
"We'll only drink whisky, and we'll shout
"Whenever we feel like it. Just keep the cancer in that basin."

No comments:

Post a Comment