Search This Blog

Monday, July 7, 2014

Day 126 - RIP Kent Horton

Today's words:

Sanity
Jump
Applause
Tooth
Critic
Comet

For the sake of my sanity
I want to believe you didn't jump,
Although you probably did. I hope there was no applause,
No uncaring audience ready to sink its tooth
Into your life, as a critic
Would condemn a comet.

You burned like a comet,
Though you struggled with sanity.
You were your own worst critic,
And you sometimes said you'd jump.
But I didn't believe you. Like a child losing a tooth,
I though it was just for applause.

And just as a burst of applause
Greets a passing comet,
So loss of a tooth
Can prefigure a loss of sanity.
But to jump
Would let the critic

Be right. And the critic
Was never right. I tried to give you as much applause
As I could, but I still feared you would jump.
Sometimes you were a burnt-out comet,
And sanity
Was nowhere to be found. If I could have found the tooth,

The root, of the problem, that tooth
That made you listen to an inner critic,
Always judging, stealing your sanity,
And expecting applause
For making the comet
Jump.

Oh, tell me you didn't jump.
I'll probably never know.  I'll bet an eyetooth
That brother of yours won't even call. A comet
You were, but he was a critic
And always hungry for applause,
Even at the expense of the sanity

Of those around him. Did he make you jump by being a critic?
A toothsome morsel seeking applause,
As he drives the comet to lose its sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment