Search This Blog

Friday, June 20, 2014

Day 109

Today's Words:
Texas
caffeine
shirt
turf
ears
carpenter

The problem with Texas
Is the people drink too much caffeine
Or not enough; I'm not sure which. Anyway, keep your shirt
On. We'll figure this out. It's just a stupid turf
War anyway, and someone's ears must be burning.
Perhaps a certain carpenter

I used to know. They say Jesus was a carpenter.
But I'll bet He's never been to Texas
Although they talk about Him enough. That's Whose ears
Are burning. I am jittery from too much caffeine
And worrying about stepping on someone else's turf
Or wearing the wrong shirt.

I want to get me a cowboy shirt
With pearl snaps. Nobody will mistake me for a carpenter
Then. I'll defend my turf
With a gun, like they do in Texas.
Watch out - I'm hopped up on caffeine.
Come near me and I'll shoot off your ears.

My ears
Were cold, so I pulled up my shirt
Collar to cover them. Maybe it was the caffeine.
Some people here say Jesus wasn't a carpenter, 
But a Texas
Rancher defending his turf.

But they're wrong. Turf
Was the last thing He cared about. His ears
are deaf to the cries of Texas
Ranchers, and that cowboy shirt
Looks out of place on a carpenter.
Yes, I've had too much caffeine.

The problem with caffeine
Is it can make you think that your little piece of turf
Means something, or that a simple carpenter
Will lend His ears
To you, in your cowboy shirt,
Acting like you own Texas.

With the caffeine causing my ears
To ring, I lay down on the turf and took off my shirt.
Just another carpenter trying to get the hell out of Texas.


No comments:

Post a Comment