Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Day 114

Today's words:
Laundry
Wine
Typewriter
Invention
Island
Quarry

I was doing the laundry
When I noticed the red wine
Stain on the tablecloth. I'd had the typewriter
Out and that must have hidden it. What an invention
When you think of it. Like leaving the island
In search of a quarry.

The last brownstone quarry
Recently closed, I've heard. But laundry
Goes on. Even on an island
Without washing machines. At least there's wine, 
I hope. That's a bigger invention
Than the typewriter.

Sitting at the typewriter
I pursue my quarry:
Another sestina. This invention
Allows me to put off doing laundry,
And allows me to drink wine
During the day. My own little island.

If I were stranded on a desert island
I don't think I'd need a typewriter
But I would want some wine.
That would be my quarry,
Not doing laundry.
What invention

Has changed lives most? It's probably an invention
That doesn't immediately spring to mind. Here on my island, 
Doing laundry
Or writing on the typewriter,
I seldom think about the quarry,
Until I've had a few glasses of wine.

Wine
May be man's greatest invention,
Although I'm sure it was an accident, rather than an intended quarry.
We're all on our own island
Without it, using the typewriter
Or doing laundry

Alone. Wine gets us off our island.
It's a more useful invention than the typewriter
And a more interesting quarry than laundry.



No comments:

Post a Comment