Search This Blog

Friday, June 6, 2014

Day Ninety-five

Today's words:
Medal
Sugar
Pen
Pillow
Knife
Skateboard

They gave the first-place medal
To a girl whose lips tasted of sugar.
I got a pen
As second-place finisher. At home, I cried into my pillow,
But I'd have preferred to stab her with a knife
And take off on my skateboard.

I'm great on a skateboard;
I've even won a medal
For my tricks, but I'd still like to stick my knife
Into that sugar-
Lipped girl, or smother her with a pillow.
You can write that in pen,

Because I really mean it. Down in the holding pen,
I zoomed in circles on my skateboard,
While the girl buried her face in her pillow
Upstairs. A medal
Was great and all, and having lips of sugar
Was a plus, but she still felt like she'd been stabbed with a knife

In the heart. A knife,
Or a pen? 
Both can wound, and rubbing sugar
Into the cut doesn't help. Better to get back up on the skateboard
And try for another medal
Than to cry into one's pillow.

I stabbed the pillow
With my knife,
Sending feathers everywhere. Then I took the medal
And hurled it into the pen
As I sped off on my skateboard.
We'll see who's got the sugar

Now. She pressed her sugar
Lips into the pillow
And thought of her lover, who'd fled on a skateboard,
Taking his knife,
His pen,
And her medal.

Sugar may be sweet, but it can hurt like a knife
And a pillow won't protect you from being wounded with a pen.
Better to practice on your skateboard and try for another medal.

No comments:

Post a Comment