Search This Blog

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Day Ninety-four

Today's words:
Chair
Witch
Jury
Napkin
Egg
Gears

As she sat on the chair
On the witness stand, the accused witch
Faced the jury.
She twisted a napkin
In her hands,
Her skin pale as an egg
Shell. You could almost see the gears

Turning in her mind, gears
Looking for the words to say as she sat in the chair,
Her fate as fragile as an egg.
In this day and age, to be accused of being a witch
Is just about unheard-of. She tore the napkin
And faced the jury.

"You may think you can judge me," she said to the jury,
"But you need to change gears."
She threw the shredded napkin
To the ground and stood up from her chair.
"I'm no more a witch
"Than I am an egg."

With egg
On their faces, the members of the jury
Recognized that the woman couldn't be a witch,
Or, changing gears,
If she was it was hardly a crime. A new witness took the chair,
Sweeping away the remnants of the napkin.

I spread the napkin
On my lap as I prepared to eat the egg
Sandwich before me. I shifted in my chair
And thought of the verdict delivered by the jury,
Which shifted the gears
Of the court in judging the witch.

No, being a witch
Is no crime. I wiped the corners of my mouth with the napkin
And turned the gears
On the peppermill over the egg
Sandwich. Finished eating, I prepared to return to the jury
Room and got up from my chair.

A witch can cause an egg
To go bad. I took the napkin with me as I returned to the jury
Room, changing my mental gears before getting back in that chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment