Search This Blog

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Day 118

Today's words:
Oath
Wallet
Father
Garlic
Scallop
Giraffe

I made an oath
To never get rid of the wallet
My father
Gave me.  He gave it to me over a garlic-
Scented dinner - a chicken scallop -
At the Quilted Giraffe.

Remember that place?  He loved "the Giraffe,"
As he called it, and he'd sworn an oath
Never to eat a chicken scallop
Anywhere else.  The place was not cheap - his wallet
Attested to that, but he did like how they used garlic.
A true gourmet, my father

Was. The first time my father
Visited the Quilted Giraffe
He'd had the steamed mussels with garlic
Butter. Even though he swore
An oath when he got the bill, he opened his wallet.
The second time he'd had the veal scallop,

But later decided he preferred the chicken scallop.
My father
Gave me the wallet
After dessert at the Giraffe
And I made my oath
To keep it always.  The garlic

Used by the chef was subtle, not that overpowering garlic
You encounter elsewhere.  And the chicken scallop
Shows it off particularly well, hence the oath
My father
Made to the Quilted Giraffe,
His wallet

Be damned!  My wallet,
I think, smells faintly of the garlic
Used at the Quilted Giraffe.
When they closed there was nowhere to get a chicken scallop
Like that.  My father
Wasn't happy when he had to break his oath.

I still have the wallet, but the chicken scallop
In garlic is long gone, as is my father, 
And the Quilted Giraffe.  I kept my oath.

No comments:

Post a Comment