Search This Blog

Friday, May 23, 2014

Day Eighty-one

Today's words:
Blanket
Decay
Meadow
Picnic
Barrier
China

I shivered on the blanket
Feeling a sense of decay.
All I'd wanted was to go out to the meadow
For a simple picnic
But your coldness threw up a barrier
Between us as real as the Great Wall of China.

I'd set out my mother's china
On the blanket
Hoping to create a porcelain barrier
Against the inevitable decay
To which all life is subject, so we could enjoy a picnic
In this sunny meadow.

At first it was lovely in the meadow,
Eating off of china
Plates and enjoying our picnic
With everything spread out on the blanket.
But then your thoughts turned to the decay
Of our relationship, erecting an invisible barrier

Between us, a barrier
No-one else in the meadow
Could see. But there was no escaping that decay,
Not even if I dug all the way to China.
Might as well lie back on the blanket
And pretend to be enjoying the picnic.

The picnic
Was my idea; I'd hoped it would break down the barrier
Between us. But now, lying miserably on the blanket
In this sunny meadow, 
I saw it had been a mistake. You might as well have been in China,
You were so far away, and I could almost smell the decay

Around us, a decay
Not even a springtime picnic
And my mother's china
Could hold back. No barrier
Could separate it from us, here in the meadow
On a blanket.

Decay erects a barrier
Between the living and the dead. Life's no picnic in a meadow
But it's better than the alternative, even with china and a blanket.

No comments:

Post a Comment