Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Day Sixty-five

Today's words:
Ambulance
Minute
Mast
Cottage
Plastic bag

"The ambulance
"Will be here in just a minute.
"Hold tight to the mast
"While I jump off and head for the cottage
To get a plastic bag."
But a motorcycle

Blocked my path. I yelled at the man on the motorcycle:
"Get out of the way! There's an ambulance
"Coming through!" He moved and I ran after that plastic bag.
I knew I only had a minute
To make it to the cottage
And back to the boat, where my sister still held the mast,

I hoped. As I got there I saw, holding the mast,
The man from the motorcycle.
He said he'd sent my sister back to the cottage
To direct the ambulance
When it arrived. But that was just a minute
Ago and I hadn't passed her as I returned with the plastic bag.

I wrapped the plastic bag
Over the spot where the broken-off mast
Was sticking out of Roger's torso. "We've only got a minute,"
I said to the man from the motorcycle,
"Where is that damn ambulance?"
Just then I heard a siren arriving down by the cottage.

It sped past the cottage
As I tightened the knot on the plastic bag.
The ambulance
Arrived and the EMTs got out. They looked at the mast
Being held in place by the man and at his discarded motorcycle.
They knew it would only take a minute

To remove it, but in that minute
Roger could die. My sister ran up from the cottage
And stood next to the motorcycle.
I held the plastic bag in place
As the EMTs got Roger ready for them to remove the mast
And get him into the ambulance.

It all took less than a minute. The plastic bag
Worked and the EMTs sped past the cottage, having removed the mast.
We jumped on the motorcycle to follow the ambulance.


No comments:

Post a Comment