Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Day Seventy-two

Today's words:
Parade
Pension
Lead
Pyramid
Courage
Umbrella

The VFW parade
Was sad; everyone marching had been on a pension
Since the last century. In the lead
Was a general, followed by a group in a pyramid
Formation. These men had courage
However, and I was proud to watch them, without my umbrella

Even though it was raining. I'd left my umbrella
At home as I ran out to watch the parade
Go by. It takes more than just courage
To get by on a pension
These days. Building a pyramid
Can seem easier, or turning lead

Into gold. Even though the sky was the color of lead
I left my umbrella
Behind and now it was raining. The men formed a human pyramid
As the parade
Drew to a close. Even on a pension
They remained agile and full of courage.

I screwed up my courage
And asked the general in the lead
How he got by on his pension.
"How do you get by without an umbrella
In the rain?" he responded, looking at the other men in the parade.
"You just do. It's like building a pyramid,

"One stone at a time. But just as a pyramid
"Is a tomb, so it takes a lot of courage
"To come out here on parade."
My heart sank like lead.
Here I was, worrying about an umbrella,
When I wasn't trying to survive on a measly pension.

After these men's service no pension
Would ever be adequate compensation. It's like a pyramid
Scheme. These men had been an umbrella,
Shielding us. Because of their courage
We could lead
Our happy, insouciant lives and admire them on parade.

A pension is no recompense for the courage
It takes to support the pyramid of our society, as we lead
Lives under the umbrella of soldiers on parade.




No comments:

Post a Comment