Search This Blog

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Day Sixty-nine

Today's words:
Juice
Panther
North
Torture
Perch
Divorce

I lifted the cup of juice
To my lips and drank. You watched me like an angry panther
Your temper something north
Of simmering. You continued to torture
Me from your perch.
"I want a divorce,"

I said. "Fine, we'll divorce,"
You responded, taking a sip of juice.
You got down from your perch,
Pacing like a panther
In a cage. "But it's going to be torture
"For you to get anything out of me. Here in the North

"We do things differently." "North
"Or South, a divorce
"Is the same," I responded, "My lawyer can make your life torture
"As well." I put down the juice
And left the room, leaving you a lonely panther
On a perch.

Today I perch
On the windowsill of my home in the North
Slope. An impotent panther
You turned out to be. The divorce
Went fine. I drink a glass of juice
And think of the torture

You threatened me with. The only torture
Was in being with you in the first place. Why I chose to perch
With you still amazes me. I must have been drinking some sort of juice
That clouds the mind. And to think I had to move
North to finally know to divorce
You. You were like a stalking panther,

Waiting to pounce. But I'm a panther,
Too, and we could only torture
Each other. A divorce was inevitable.
I see all that now from my perch,
North
Of the events of the past. I pour another glass of juice

And stretch, a luxurious panther on a sunny perch.
There's no torture in the North
Slope house that I got in the divorce. I smile as I drink a glass of juice.



No comments:

Post a Comment