Search This Blog

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Day Eighty-three

Today's words:
Lead
Tornado
Curlers
Cucumber
Copier
Exam

The sky was the color of lead
And there was a tornado
Alert. My hair was still in curlers
And I was slicing a cucumber
But when the alert sounded I ran out past the copier
Knowing we'd have to postpone the exam.

Remember the exam
That you filled out with a number two lead
Pencil? I don't think they do that any more, and it's a copier,
Not a mimeograph machine. Yes, I'm old. The tornado
Watch was cancelled, thankfully, and I went back to the cucumber
And took my hair out of the curlers.

At beauty school, correct rolling of curlers
Was part of the final exam.
I finished making the cucumber
Salad while you lead
Everyone out of the cellar where they'd been hiding from the tornado.
Then you went over to the copier

To run off papers. But the copier
Needed toner. I put away the curlers
And then the tornado
Alarm sounded again. I guess an exam
Of the data revealed there was still a risk, so you lead
Everyone back down. I brought the cucumber

Salad this time. We ate the cucumber salad
While you looked for toner for the copier.
There was a lady with a little dog on a lead
And another woman with her hair in curlers.
I don't think they'd all come for the exam
But they happened to be in the office when the tornado

Warning sounded. It seemed like the tornado
Had passed us. The cellar smelled like cucumber.
We went back up and began to prepare for the exam.
You put the toner in the copier.
The lady in curlers
Walked out with the woman and her dog on a lead.

Two tornado warnings in an hour. The copier
Was working now and the cucumber and curlers
Were put away. The exam could begin but the sky still looked like lead.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment