Search This Blog

Monday, May 5, 2014

Day Sixty-three

Today's words:
Garden
Ravioli
Bulb
Chess
Tape
Ginger

We were picnicking in the garden
On the first warm day of spring, eating ravioli
And a bulb
Of fennel while we played a game of chess
And listened to an eight track tape
(This was long ago). We drank ginger

Ale. A ginger
Cat hid under a nearby bush in the garden.
The tape
Ran out as we finished the ravioli
And you made your move in chess.
I saw the light bulb

Go off over your head as I bit down on the fennel bulb.
You took a swig of the ginger
Ale. "Checkmate!" you crowed. You always beat me at chess.
It was a lovely day in the garden
And the ravioli
Were very good. I'd like to have caught it on tape

But they didn't have video tape
Back then, at least not for most people. I'd use the rest of the bulb
Of fennel in the next day's ravioli
Along with some fresh ginger.
We began packing up to leave the garden.
You picked up the chess

Set. It had seen many games of chess.
The black king was broken, its crown affixed with tape.
And as we left the garden
I threw a bit of the fennel bulb
At the ginger
Cat, but it got no ravioli.

Tomorrow I'll make ravioli
Again, and we'll play another game of chess.
We'll drink ginger
Ale and use another piece of tape
To fix the black king. Then I'll go plant a tulip bulb
Near the big tree in the garden.

It will be almost like the ravioli we ate listening to music on tape,
While playing chess and munching on a fennel bulb,
Observed by a ginger cat in another garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment