Search This Blog

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Day Sixty-six

Today's words:
Picture
T-shirt
Croissant
Value
Guitar
Accident

I came across an old picture
Of you from Cannes.
You were wearing a t-shirt
That said "I ❤️ NY." You were holding a croissant.
You were on La Croisette. I remember trying to put a value on a guitar
You were trying to sell. By what accident

Of fate did we meet? My life now feels like an accident,
A mistake, or a bad dream. I picture
Our old life together, before you sold your guitar
And ended that part of your life. Sometimes I still sleep in your t-shirt.
It's of no value
To anyone but me. I'll have a croissant

(Or what passes for one here) and think of another croissant
We shared on the morning of the accident
That obliterated the value
Of my life. Here you are in another picture,
In Paris this time, in a different t-shirt,
Your guitar

Slung across your chest. The guitar
Was red. I finish the croissant
And take off the t-shirt.
It can't be an accident
That I came across that picture
Today. There has to be a value

To this experience, even if it only makes me value
More what I had before you sold the red guitar.
I think again of that picture
Of you holding a croissant
On La Croisette. After the accident,
You weren't dead - you were perfect, your t-shirt

Wasn't even torn, but you were through with me. That's not the t-shirt
I kept. I didn't know enough to value
What I had before the accident,
And if I could go back I would. I'd get back that guitar
And even the croissant
In the picture.

Who knew that a t-shirt and a guitar
Could be of such value? Or that a simple croissant
Photographed by accident could mean so much in a picture?

No comments:

Post a Comment