Search This Blog

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Day Eighty

Today's words:
Clay
Frost
Perfume
Honey
Fall
Toes

The sky was the color of clay.
There was a frost
Predicted, and the perfume
In the air smelled like honey.
No doubt about it, Fall
Was coming. I could feel it in my toes.

My toes
Were chilled, and the clay-
Colored sky almost looked as if it might fall.
"Let's get in before the frost,"
I suggested, "And have some tea with honey.
"The perfume

Alone will be relaxing." As I inhaled that honeyed perfume
I felt warmth spreading down to my toes.
"Did you check on the chickens, honey?"
I asked. "We want to be sure there's enough clay
"In their yard to offset the frost.
"I'm not losing any this Fall."

Because Fall,
Even if it does have a nice perfume
Can be deadly. A sudden frost
Can kill off chickens and leave your toes
Digging into the clay.
Never mind the smell of honey

In the air. "Are you all right, honey?"
I called, just as I saw you start to fall,
Hands grasping at the clay-
Laden ground. The smell of perfume
Suddenly dissipated and my toes
Curled, like in response to a killing frost.

And just as the frost
Crystallizes the rest of the honey,
So I felt my toes
Throb as I watched you fall,
Through the perfume
And onto the clay.

Frost on the ground can cause a fall,
Just as honey can be the top note in a perfume,
But in the end we all have toes and feet of clay.

No comments:

Post a Comment