Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Day Seventy-eight

Today's words:
Verb
Parlor
Decorator
Garlic
Stone
Baby

"To worry" is a verb,
And that's what I was doing as I stood in the parlor
With this supposed "interior decorator"
A friend had suggested.  His breath reeked of garlic
And his heart seemed made of stone,
But his baby-

Smooth face suggested cosmetic surgery. "Baby,"
He'd said to me, "I don't just decorate. I prefer a stronger verb,
"Like inspire." I was feeling as inspired as a stone
As I stood in the parlor
Listening to the garlic-
Scented ravings of this decorator.

I hadn't even wanted to hire a decorator,
But after I lost the baby,
Friends thought it would cheer me up. But now the smell of garlic
Was making me ill. I think "to nauseate" would be the correct verb.
Now he's suggesting we paint the parlor
"The color of a lovely volcanic stone,"

Whatever that means. Still, I was feeling less like a stone.
At least I'll give this decorator
That. His nuttiness as he discussed his ideas for my parlor
Made me feel something I hadn't felt since losing the baby.
In fact I hadn't really felt anything since then. I don't know what verb
Could be used to describe it, and despite his garlic-

Infused breath I was suddenly hungry. I used to love to cook with garlic,
But since then everything had tasted like stone. 
Was "to grieve" the correct verb
To explain what I'd been doing? If so, perhaps this decorator
Had jostled me out of the grief I'd been carrying since the baby
Died. And the miscarriage had started right in this parlor,

Which is why I'd thought to redo the parlor
In the first place. The garlic
Odor had dissipated some. "Baby,"
He said, turning towards me, "Not even a stone
"Could be unmoved by this. Remember, I'm not a decorator -
"I inspire!" But I had another verb

In mind, yet I agreed to paint my parlor a stone
Color and went along with the garlic-scented decorator,
If only to get my mind off the baby and go back to being an active verb.

No comments:

Post a Comment